Released: April 3, 2012
If you do not want to read these release notes (you should!), please at least read the following two bullet items:
- Please do not run this in a production environment
- Please do not upgrade from previous 5.x versions (not supported)
ClearOS Community 6.2.0 RC 1 has arrived! Along with the usual round of bug fixes and enhancements, RC 1 includes the following new apps: Remote Server Backup, Web Server, Certificate Manager, User Certificates, User Profile, OpenVPN and Dashboard. End users can now login to the web-based administration tool to change their passwords and manage their security certificates.
For those of you who missed the recent announcement, ClearOS now comes in two different flavors: Community and Professional. That “Enterprise” name was a holdover from the old days and it has always caused some confusion (we heard you Ladislav). The Professional Edition includes technical support and is intended for businesses, education, non-profit and other professional organizations. The Community Edition has all the old Enterprise features and is intended for less critical environments: home, self-supported Linux shops, and just plain old open source hacking. You can read the gory details on this topic in an earlier blog post.
So what can you expect in the final release of ClearOS Community 6? Along with updating the base system built on source code from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 1) 6.2, this release includes the following major changes. Please note: these features will be rolled out during the alpha/beta phase.
- Base system built from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2) 6.2 source code
- 64-bit support
- Graphical installer
- Wireless support (ClearBOX)
- Windows BDC support
- App developer framework
- Google Apps synchronization
- Active Directory connector
- Account Synchronization support (Master/Slave)
- Kaspersky Gateway Antivirus
- Kaspersky File Scan
- Zarafa Standard and Community (coming soon)
Along with many bug fixes and enhancements, the following new apps have been released with RC 1.
- Web Server
- Account Synchronization (Professional Edition App)
- Remote Server Backup
- User Profile
- User Certificates
- Translations are missing
- The last step in installer may take a couple of minutes to complete
- Configuration backup is incomplete
- The install wizard has a few rough edges… almost there.
Please post your feedback in the ClearOS Development and Test Release Forum.
Please select one of the following downloads.